Spring Cleaning Tips for a Clean, Fresh Home
Spring has arrived – which means that it is time to freshen up your home. A good, deep spring cleaning not only promotes wellness by keeping your living space clean, but it also helps continue on the fresh-start feeling brought on by a new year. We have a few spring cleaning tips to help you get started:
1. Deep clean your refrigerator. The best cleaner combination is that of salt and soda water. The bubbling action of the soda water combines with the abrasive texture of the salt, making a great cleaner to eliminate build-up. Do not forget to check the coils – found behind the toe grille, use a long-handled bottlebrush and a vacuum cleaner with an attachment hose to remove dust and lint (make sure you unplug the refrigerator first).
2. Remove lime build-up. The best way to remove lime build-up from your faucets is to lay paper towels over them and soak with vinegar. Allow this to set for an hour as it will loosen up the lime and make it easier to scrub away.
3. Clean window screens. You can remove all the dirt caught in your screens with a scrap of carpeting.
4. Make the windows sparkle. Use a cloth and soapy water to clean all windows, and then dry with another clean cloth. You can also use a window squeegee to help make the process easier and faster.
5. Renew the drapes. Remove any drapes from the windows and their hooks, and then run them through the air-fluff cycle in the dryer. Throw in a wet towel as well to draw off the dust for 15 minutes. Hang them back on the windows immediately after removing them from the dryer.
6. Clean the ceiling fan blades. We often forget about these because their out of sight and tend to be difficult to reach. Use an extendable duster and some furniture polish. Wipe the blades to remove excess dust and dirt, and then lightly buff. You can also use a vacuum with a soft nozzle attachment.
7. Wash walls, cabinets, baseboards, and woodwork. Use a sponge and hand dishwashing detergent to wash these surfaces in sections. A sponge mop also makes it easier to reach higher spots. Then, dry them with a clean cloth.
8. Don’t forget your patio furniture. Before the outdoor season begins, wipe down all chairs and tables, minus the cushions. You can wipe down your patio furniture with a mixture of warm water and dish soap, then hose off the solution and allow them to air dry.
9. Wash your washing machine. Use hot water and vinegar or cleaning tablets you can pick up at your local grocery store.
10. Clear dust bunnies from heating vents. Grab a damp cloth and butter knife to clear out those pesky dust bunnies (just run them through the slots in the vent).
You can tackle these all at once or a couple per week for the next few weeks. All are easy to do and will help make your home feel sparkling clean!
Reader's Digest. 8 Spring Cleaning Tips to Get It Done Faster. Online. Website URL: https://www.rd.com/home/cleaning-organizing/spring-cleaning-tips/. Accessed April 7, 2018.
HGTV. 7 Spring-Cleaning Tips. Online. Website URL: https://www.hgtv.com/design/decorating/clean-and-organize/7-spring-cleaning-tips. Accessed April 7, 2018.
Nationwide. 20 Essential Spring Cleaning Tips. Online. Website URL: https://blog.nationwide.com/spring-cleaning-tips-and-tricks/. Accessed April 7, 2018.
House Beautiful. 20 Things You Should Deep Clean This Spring. Online. Website URL: https://www.housebeautiful.com/lifestyle/cleaning-tips/advice/g601/spring-cleaning-tips/. Accessed April 7, 2018.