- Build a bench to keep next to the door – this makes the perfect place to sit and put on/take off shoes each day.
- Turn an old painting into a cabinet – make this a hidden spice rack in your kitchen.
- Transform a wood pallet into just about anything your heart desires – a new headboard for your bed, a cup holder in the kitchen, a new patio bench, a fun bar table, etc.
- Turn an unused closet into a nice office space – remove hanging rods and add shelves.
- Make a chandelier or lamp out of bottles – use colorful lights to amp it up.
- Transform an old door into a large photo display – find a door with several windows to add more photos.
- Many more! Just ask yourself, “What could I really use in my home right now that I may be able to build?” Then, use the tips below to help you find instructions or a great video tutorial.
Where you can find instructions, tutorials, ideas, etc.:
- Pinterest – This is your best friend when it comes to home DIY. Want to learn how to build a farmhouse table? Pinterest is the resource to provide you numerous ways. We’ve even created a “Home DIY” Pinterest board to help you get started.
- Google – Have a particular project in mind? Search Google and you will be sure to find a great blog post with written instructions and photos.
- HGTV DIY – A great source for inspiration, photos, and videos.
- This Old House – Provides ideas for remodeling, repairing, adding on, or enhancing your home.
- DIY Network – This entire website is dedicated to all things DIY. You’ll be sure to find some creative projects.
- Good Housekeeping – The “Home” section of this website provides ideas and tips for improving your home creatively, plus more!
- Decide what new feature you, and your home, could use and gather supplies.
- Set a budget and stick to it.
- Research DIY tutorials.
- Ask for help when you need it.
- Keep things simple if that’s what works for you.
- Don’t take on more than you can handle.
- Don’t give up!
Remember, you don’t have to tackle big DIY projects. They can be as simple as adding a pop of color to your home’s staircase by painting the steps. Yes, really!
And, one last tip: just have fun!
This Old House. 100 DIY Upgrades for Under $100. Online. Website URL: https://www.thisoldhouse.com/ideas/100-diy-upgrades-under-100. Accessed August 1, 2018.
DIY & Crafts. 60+ Innovative Kitchen Organization and Storage DIY Projects. Online. Website URL: https://www.diyncrafts.com/2362/home/60-innovative-kitchen-organization-and-storage-diy-projects. Accessed August 1, 2018.
Kitchen Fun with My Three Sons. The Best DIY Wood Pallet Ideas. Online. Website URL: https://kitchenfunwithmy3sons.com/fun-finds-friday-the-best-diy-wood-pallet-ideas/. Accessed August 1, 2018.
Country Living. How to Make a Vintage Painting into a Cabinet. Online. Website URL: https://www.countryliving.com/diy-crafts/how-to/g1100/make-a-painting-into-a-cabinet/fbIndex7. Accessed August 1, 2018.
Photog Mommie. An Old Door & Our Story. Online. Website URL: http://www.photogmommie.com/an-old-door-our-story. Accessed August 1, 2018.
MakeSpace: Your Closet in the Cloud. 15 Amazing Multi-Purpose Entryway Storage Hacks and Ideas That You'll Love. Online. Website URL: https://makespace.com/blog/posts/entryway-storage-hacks-solutions-ideas/. Accessed August 1, 2018.
Pinterest, Google, HGTV DIY, This Old House, DIY Network, and Good Housekeeping