Winter is coming! For many, that means school is out, temperatures outside have dropped, and kids are feeling restless! There are tons of family-friendly activities you can do with your child(ren) at home or out and about.
Here are some of our favorite ideas for a fun family winter:
- When the temperature is too low outside, sometimes we want our kids to stay in. Sharing the stories you grew up with or finding new ones can lead to special moments and memories that last from generation to generation. Pick out a book for you and/or the family to read. Barnes & Noble has a list of the top 10 winter season books to read for the whole family.
- Seasonal sensory bins for toddlers learning their seasons, colors, and senses have been all the craze. They can learn to be creative, festive, and work on brain and fine motor development all at once. Did we mention how fun it is, too?! Here are some of our favorite seasonal sensory bins for kids that you can do at home.
- If you feel like getting out and about with your loved ones, view some of the most beautiful winter national parks. Are these national parks too far? Check out some of your local parks with incredible winter scenery. You can even check the recent reviews and pictures from other users that have visited the local park.
- ‘Tis the season for all the holiday treats! Hot cocoa, cookies, and homemade soup are always top of mind (especially during the colder months of the year). Food Network suggests these 88 different treats for baking during this time. These healthy soups are sure to keep you warm from the inside out and could inspire a personal recipe to have a little twist to it.
- Feel like your family is coughing or uncomfortable with the air in your home? There are several ways to combat dry air during the winter. Save these tips and keep your home more comfortable during the winter season.
- Winterizing your home is important to reduce the risk of potential damage from freezing temperatures, snow, and ice. It also protects your investment and keeps you and your family more comfortable inside your home during the chilly months. Use this checklist to ensure your home is ready for the upcoming cold season.
- Need your kids to help declutter the house? Do a closet cleanout to give old toys or clothes to a local charity. Incentivize your helpers with stickers, quarters, or their favorite color item that they can trade in later for something special. Spending time together and making happy memories is the most notable part. View more fun ideas to do with your kids on cold days here.
We understand during the winter months that you are home more than usual. Nights seem longer, the air is dryer, and kids spend a lot of time at home. We hope this helps you have a warm and cozy winter full of laughter, hot cocoa, and memories that you will remember forever!