To help you, follow these daily, weekly, monthly, and yearly cleaning and maintenance checklists to keep your home in good health throughout the year:
Daily: Don’t spend more than a total of 30 minutes on these tasks every day.
- Make bed(s)
- Tidy up clutter on the floors and countertops
- Sweep or vacuum as needed (cordless vacuums are amazing for quick clean-up!)
- Wipe down countertops, remotes, phones, and switches
- Complete a load of laundry
Weekly: Try organizing these by tackling one each day of the week – see how below!
- Monday: Clean bathrooms
- Tuesday: Wipe down all appliances in the kitchen
- Wednesday: Vacuum and/or mop floors (again, cordless is the way to go!)
- Thursday: Trash day! Take out all trash
- Friday: Dust countertops, furniture, electronics, shelves, picture frames, etc.
- Saturday: Wash sheets and towels
- Sunday: Tackle a small maintenance task in your yard
Monthly: Try focusing on one area of your home at a time throughout the month. Start with your kitchen – some of these will only take a few minutes!
- Clean all appliances: oven, dishwasher, refrigerator, freezer, sink disposal, washer, dryer, etc.
- Wipe down all cabinets in the kitchen and bathrooms
- Clean and/or replace filters/vents for the dishwasher, dryer, furnace, humidifier, dehumidifier, etc.
- Polish furniture
- Vacuum and wash drapes, rugs, baseboards, walls, and ceiling fans
- Wash quilts, duvet covers, pillows, etc.
- Spot clean furniture and rotate/vacuum mattress(es)
- Run water and flush toilets in unused spaces
- Check your smoke and carbon monoxide detectors (replace batteries, if needed)
- Locate and check fire extinguishers
- Clean up the yard and remove debris, leaves, and more
- Inspect the outside of your home for damage and make repairs as needed
Yearly: You can address these more often if you would like!
- Organize, dispose, and donate unneeded items in closets, the basement, the attic, or the garage
- Deep clean carpets, sofas, chairs, etc.
- Tighten any door handles, locks, knobs, etc.
- Have your chimney inspected for deterioration, water damage, and other signs of wear
- Wash windows and/or screens
- Pressure wash your home, deck(s), and outside furniture
- Clean out the pool and/or hot tub
- Clean out the gutters
- Complete a large outside home maintenance task that is on your list
A home is a significant investment and caring for it is a huge responsibility. These checklists can help you manage cleaning and maintenance for your home year-round, all with a small amount of effort. Just an hour a day can be beneficial for both you and your home – cleaning can be a way to de-stress, and your home will be all the better for it! A win-win!
HOUSE SELLING TIP: If you decide to sell your home, follow these checklists and deep clean before having listing photos taken and hosting showings (either virtual or in-person). The details matter to prospective buyers!